Where did we start, and where are we going?
Named in honour of Edward Swayne (former M.L.A. for Mirani), Swayneville State School was opened in August 1935. For the first two years, classes were conducted in the Methodist Mission Hall at Shinfield. Miss Ethel Donohue had the privilege of being Swayneville State School’s first Principal.
In March 1939, the ‘new’ school was opened on land donated by Mr John Jackson, and has remained on this site.
Following the closure of West Plane Creek School, that building was moved to Swayneville in the early 1970’s. A third building was constructed in the early 1980’s.
Since then the school's facilities have evolved with the school. 2010 saw the building of the resource centre, provisioning the school with a new library and administration area. 2014 saw the establishment of a dedicated building suitable for the 'prep' year.
The school celebrated 75 years of establishment in 2010, and amongst the celebrations was the creation of an anniversary wall, which now graces the new entry into the school grounds. The positive relationship enjoyed between current staff and parents indicates that the educational partnership is as strong as ever.
We are one, but we are many
Our students have a mix of heritages and cultural influences from their family background. Swayneville State School teaches individuals, and as such the wealth of knowledge and understanding that come from diverse family backgrounds are valued. We do, however, also recognise the Traditional Owners of the land, and work hard to ensure that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Perspectives are embedded within our curriculum, within our professional learning, and within ‘our way of doing business’.